Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Was digging through all the crap (still) in the foyer...
And I found this poem that I'd written back in 1997. Perhaps the first poem that took me away from the "devotional" poetry I'd written throughout college... Hmmm...

Anyway, I thought I'd share.

Daily News

Swooning beneath the weight of Utopia
Two girls threw themselves from the overpass last night.
The paper had nothing to say
Of their goals, the desperations, their drives,
Only that one was an honor student
And that they both died before the ambulance arrived.
The older girl died instantly,
Crashing her sacrificial form through
The windshield of a man driving to visit his parents.

They were minors, so
They must remain nameless, faceless
(More palatable for the delicate
Tastes of the civilized world),
A pair of everywomen, no-women.

We are the dirt of this island called humanity;
Each one's death should diminish us, we know,
But it is only dirt, we tell ourselves,
And there's more than enough of that to go around.
Besides, there's a happy story
About a clown and a hospital
On the next page.

© Sean Taylo

No comments: